Letter to an inspiration

Hello Deborah,

I first came across your flickr photos through another contact of mine and fell instantly in love with what you've done....if I remember correctly it was the blue gloved hand, holding the green apple that I first saw. Since then I've lurked on around on your blog....and was saddened but inspired when you were told you had breast cancer....I loved your attitude through your ordeal.

Well....on Saturday, September 11, 2010....I was in the shower when I discovered a lump in my left breast. I remember looking up at the ceiling and saying..."damn it". I made a doctor's appointment for that following Tuesday and was heading off to an earlier scheduled (my annual was to happen on October 26th) mammogram....whereby they took 9 photos (only two of my right). Two weeks (last Tuesday) after that...I'm scheduled for a core biopsy....last Friday I was called back into my doctor's office. I have Ductal Carcinoma.

Friday I cried.
Saturday I walked around stunned and fought back the urge to hurl.
Sunday I'm learning to deal with it and am finding much inspiration going back and re-reading your story.
Tomorrow I find out when I meet with the surgeon.

I have three children, 9 year old girl, 13 year old boy, 17 year old boy, my beloved husband, my disabled dad who lives with us and an 89 year old father-in-law in hospital and I just keep thinking....I can't possibly be going through this....who's going to take care of these people? Truth be told....my life has been going "fast forward" for years and I think this is the kick in the ass that I'm getting to finally slow down and "take care of me". I know the survival rate of this type of cancer is high....but I'm so scared....my husband, I can see....is terrified.

So long story short....I find much comfort in reading your story and wanted you to know that you are an inspiration! I'm going to kick this in the ass....and I'm going to see all three of my children graduate (Teddy...my eldest is graduating in 2011).

Sincerely and with kindest regards,

L

Comments

Fen said…
Oh damn. I'd had my fingers crossed for a benign tumor or something. Glad that Deborah can serve as an inspiration to you.

When my father was dealing with his lung cancer, his positive attitude was one of the key factors that saw him through the treatments.

Stay strong, you have to!

Popular Posts