Rolling with the punches

It's been a bit of a hectic last couple of days.

My fil had fallen in his room on Monday. Seemed okay for a couple of days and then he couldn't get out of bed. His back was killing him. The seniors home had called me to come and check him out....isn't that their job? He was in a foul mood...again....so I gave him some Advil and told him to let me know in the morning, if the pain was worse. Well he attempted to call me, got my voice-mail and left a blubbering message full of many profanities. Then the nurse called me....*off I go*. I asked him if the pills had helped the night before? "Yes"....good start. I dress him up, wheel him down to the car and take him to the hospital....where we proceed to spend the next 5 hours.

The emergency room of any hospital is never a fun place, thankfully we got there just ahead of the "crowd". Then a woman came in and I tell ya, if she seriously wasn't going to cough up a good chunk of her lung....well, it just sounded that ugly. She decided to sit two chairs away from us. Then another woman came in ready to hurl with stomach pain. Another guy comes in all white complaining nausea. A woman was on a stretcher in the hallway hurling non-stop....it was pleasant. Did I ever mention that I've never been very good in hospitals? You learn to get over it!

Anyways....we waited in the e.r. for an hour and 15 minutes, then they stuck us in a room at the end of the hallways....I was sure we'd get forgotten. 45 minutes later the doctor shows up...asks some questions, does a quick look over....and then sends us for an x-ray. 15 minutes later we're taken back to the end of the hallway and wait another hour and a bit for the doctor to come back, just to have him tell us..... It's a slight compression fracture on the 11th or 12th vertebrae....nothing can be done except pain meds and time....go home.

My fil is most frustrated and of course...his frustrations are being hurled at me. I gave him his pain meds today...twice, before I coordinated his doctor, the pharmacy and the home. He seemed in better spirits at noon and had even gone out for a walk....so the pills are doing there job.

Maybe it's time for me to start taking something?

Comments

Popular Posts