Our future

The other night I sat down with Tony, who was watching an episode of "Glen Beck" and I tried really hard to focus. As mentioned before, I have no interest in politics and try to avoid it as best as I can. This is not to say that I'm "ignorant" on what's going on, who's in power, who's smoking which type of cigar, who's stealing from who. I just don't have any interest in listening to politicians and their lying, scheming ways. I'm of the thought that people will say whatever they can to get themselves elected, to look like the "good guy" and then they'll just end up screwing it all to hell after. You have ways to save this household of 6 (plus beast = 7) some money, feed us all on a budget, keep my sanity?...I'm all ears. I do my duty and vote but that's pretty much where it ends.

So anyways....this post actually has little to do with actual "politicians" per se....I was sitting there listening to how the economy is spiraling down the proverbial toilet, when I turned to Tony and said..."It's amazing how just a short year ago, things were going so well and now...." And it's true, just a year ago (not even) things were looking good....now, I'm watching all the pennies, trying to cut back on our grocery bill, adjust my phone plan, rent less from the video store, not drive the van so much.

It's hard keeping a family of 6 afloat, even when one of us has a pretty decent paying job. Just when I was going to "cut back" on my business...I have to keep it going just so that Krystina can join soccer and Aleks can go to camp and Teddy can keep eating "Crustini's"! I wouldn't say my kids are "spoiled" but they have what they need and enjoy little "extras"...I've warned them though...things will definitely be a little "tougher" and trips to the video store will have to be cut down dramatically. We rarely eat out, so that's not going to be an issue.....I am however, buying "store brand" items rather than "name brand" to save a few pennies here and there....they can't tell the difference anyways. All I'm eating is salad, so I just need to fill my garden with greens and packs of seeds are cheap. ;o)

The world is a scary place nowadays and even the "best off" aren't totally safe anymore. Am I sitting up at night worrying about the future? No, not really but I know it's going to be a heck of a lot harder for my kids to get ahead. I just hope and pray that they get at least some of the same opportunities I had. I think my biggest fear is that when I'm 65, I'll still have all three kids living at home!!! Kidding!

Comments

Deanna said…
Those crustinis are expensive!!! Grammy liked them for a while... and then when they weren't on sale I refused to buy them... and then... he eventually decided that he didn't like them anymore.. whew!!I was off the hook for the purchase of them... especially since they didn't go on sale very often. I travel (like you) between the local haunts.. and do scour the aisle for a maybe sale.. but I haven't bought them lately. OK.. you will laugh.. guess what I have introduced him to... BREAD! French bread.. with a slice of OLD cheddar, and a wee bit of Becel. He seems to think that this is a delicacy! Especially when you serve it on a plate....
I love french bread, with Becel and cheese!!!

I should just stop buying those Crustini's...Krystina's quite happy with the end piece of french bread with Becel...she's going to keep me out of the poor house!

Popular Posts