No one is safe

We've had a serious problem become even more serious here in the last 3 weeks. 12 gang related shootings in the past 16 days is not a good thing in any city. I think the total dead is up at 10....which hey, if they want to kill themselves...go for it. It's the innocent people who get caught in the cross fire, that scare me.

Three shootings ago a young woman (married to a member of a gang) was driving in her cadillac with smoked out windows...with her 4 year old son in the back seat. Can you believe that she was shot at while driving and a passerby actually jumped out of his vehicle, climbed into hers and slammed the brakes on!?!?! Thankfully the little boy wasn't physically hurt but.....4 years old?!?! That poor little thing will be traumatized for the rest of his life!

A young male was shot dead in shopping mall parking lot....in the middle of the afternoon! A young girl shot in her car a block away from my house. In a back alley, in their homes, in parks, in Tim Horton drive-throughs....it's nuts!!! They're calling Vancouver, the "gang capital" of Canada...it's nice to be recognized but I'd rather not, if that's the title we're going to get.

Teddy goes to a high-school that is second home to 2,000 students....you can bet that there's definitely drugs and definitely gang members there. They may only attend a day or two a week but....they're still there....and they're way too close to my kid.

*sigh*....I don't have any bright ideas as to how to handle the situation, I just know it's getting crazier and crazier.

Comments

Fen said…
I hear you and echo your fears and sentiments. We are much further off from high school but the idea of sending my kids to the local schools fills me with dread.

It is a real shame that gangs have so overtaken society.

I hope, when/if the economy turns again, gangs and criminal activity in general will recede.

Popular Posts