My heart has learned not to skip a beat...or two.

The butterflies would always start to flutter whenever the "call display" would indicate my father-in-law was calling. I've finally stopped "freaking out", now responding with a sense of "what now?" kind of attitude.

Like the other day when he called (on 14 hours after I called him to remind him of his appointment the upcoming day) yelling my name and demanding when I was going to "show up" to take him to his appointment. I remember telling him "again" that "as I mentioned"....I would be there after the lunch hour (it was only 9:00 a.m.).

Today the phone rang and the call display indicated his number again.....I answered calmly....he started yelling my name and demanding that I take him to the "old house" to get his belongings and mail. I told him that I didn't have the key and that the house now belonged to my "louse" of a brother-in-law. He proceeds to tell me that he has every right to go back and get his stuff and I say..."well yes, but I don't have the key and....I'm not going there". I also reminded him that the kids had just got home from school and I was starting to prepare dinner.

He doesn't act this way with his "children", I feel at times...that I'm being shit on for being the one that's "always willing to help". Good karma or not....sometimes it takes me for a rough ride and really....I don't need anymore crap in my life....I think I've gone through enough....but maybe I'm just being selfish.

Regardless....I picked up his damn pickles and I'll go and visit with him tomorrow. Tony called my useless bil and told him that their dad was giving me a hard time and that perhaps now (for the first time since he "stopped in" at Christmas time only to grab a check that he filled out for $30k....without my fil's knowledge....oh yeah) would be a good time to get his ass over there for a decent visit...and maybe even bring his other belongings and mail that he's had for the last 5 months!

*sigh*....anyone else have any crazy stories?

Comments

Fen said…
Jeebus, the shit you put up with is mind boggling. There is no justification for your father in law treating you like such crap, especially when it sounds like you're the only one that actually does anything for him. Demand your respect and tell him to go stuff it!
I know...and I did!...and the best part...he agreed! He's an old man heading into senility....he feels that I'm the only one he has to trust, vent, ask for help...I get that. Some days though, it's just a little harder to take than others.

Popular Posts