Radiation

I've just completed 6 of 20 treatments with not so much as a little sensitivity and itchiness along my collar bone....but apparently that's about to change.

Sometimes I sit stunned thinking about what this poor body has gone through in the past few months....I don't look at it as "me"...I look at it as a human body that's been poked, prodded, cut, put to sleep, poisoned, radiated, humiliated, touched, stretched, pulled, tattooed....etc. Oh the poisons that have flowed through me and now the radiation...what an experience on it's own.

I lay there alone on this table, all marked up, body pulled and pushed into position....breast marked and Jiffy'd and placed into position....to be told to "stay still"....while "they" leave the room and close the 6 inch door behind them....leaving me with "the machine".

"The machine" starts just below my left shoulder where I can't see it too well but the "ominous" sounds it makes are all too familiar at this point..I get three treatments at that level...then the "hand" (about three feet wide/high) moves it's way over to my right side and does it's thing twice over...finally settling right above my left breast it gives me two more blasts....some are 20 seconds in length and some are 30....the only comfort I have laying there is know that one by one...I have 7 and once I reach that number I'm done...for the day.

The radiologist comes back in, the table moves back down and I get dressed and put on my scarf....one down and 14 to go.

Comments

Popular Posts