Oh the people you meet.

One thing I can honestly say going through this whole ordeal is that I've met some wonderful people...some pretty miserable people too....but mostly wonderful!

I think of myself as a pretty positive person...sure I get grumpy and down and have even  had my share of anxiety driven panic attacks, but generally....I'm a "half full" kind of gal.  I love going (and this is going to sound very weird) to my treatments to meet the wonderful people that I have.  Like the lady who shows up with a port in her chest wall, wig on and make-up perfect, sipping on her tea and laughing with the gentleman next to her.  Or the gorgeous young woman (probably in her early 30's) with her head held high, looking radiant as ever and walking through the chemo ward with her iv.  Or the wonderful older gentleman at the radiation department who sat there smiling at everyone that passed him by....one nurse walked by and said to him "you have such a wonderful smile"...and he does.  Or the lady who today wished everyone a "great weekend" as she walked out after her treatment....or the second lady who walked by me and said "good luck with this too", as she tapped me on the shoulder.  Or "Bob".....

I met Bob (and yes that is his name) during my last visit to LGH, he was being treated for colorectal cancer...just a simple gentleman with a beautiful smile.  His wife (I'm assuming) was with him and after he was set up for his 4 hour treatment she gave him a tap and left the ward to do some shopping or whatever else.  We started chatting...he had no children...I had three...he has three dogs...I have one...small talk mostly....talk about our treatments....our cancers.....our struggles....our want to live forever....me for my family....him for his shear love of life.  Then he turned to me and asked "take that off your hat" (meaning my bandana)....I looked around and said "you really want to see?" and he said "yes"...so I did....and he was the first person to tell me that I looked "beautiful" without anything on.  I mean, I know my husband thinks so...or so he's said in his round about way but....this was a stranger I had only met an hour ago....and I chuckled and put my bandana back on....  We chatted for a bit more and then I was done.

I wished him good luck and that I hoped we'd meet up here again....and he told me that when he's feeling really down he'll remember chatting with me, the smile on my face, the tears in my eyes and the love for my family and life.

I kidd you not!!!  This is not a Harlequin Romance that I'm writing...it's true stuff and it really did happen! ;o)

Makes me love life that much more!

Comments

Popular Posts