Here's the e-mail I sent...

Good evening Mrs. P

As noted in my subject line...."something has got to be done" with regards to the no parking/stopping and ESPECIALLY the handicapped parking zones!!! I am absolutely fuming with the disregard and plain idiocity (sp?) when it comes to this traffic law! My father...who suffered a major stroke a few years back, comes once a week (sometimes more) to pick up my daughter from school....he has a "handicap sign" hanging from his rear-view and needs to use the appropriate parking spots as he is partially paralyzed. On Monday of this week, he parked in the appropriate spot (which isn't always open and is very often being used by someone without a valid handicap sign) in the south parking lot....but he could not get out of his car without almost losing his ground because some woman decided to park in the open area (not even a parking spot) to the left of him. He voiced his anger and yet could not get this woman's attention and very closely fell to the ground. I see this day in and day out...children have been hit by cars backing up because they're using the appropriate "cross walks" and yet these idiots are parked where they shouldn't be and cannot see these little ones. I'm plain and simple tired of it and when I heard this story from my father...and apparently it's not the first time....I blew a gasket. This has got to be my biggest pet peeve and I've had enough....my father (and my daughter) are at risk here because of the stupidity of people such as this!! If you do not display a valid handicap sign, you are NOT allowed to park in the handicap zone....or in the spot next to it...which isn't even a spot! I realize we have a few disabled children in the school and they NEED these spots to get to and from their classrooms safely. Children (and adults) needs to be able to cross the streets around the school without being injured.....we NEED to do SOMETHING about this!!!

I am not angry with you....I am angry at those individuals that are too stupid to realize what they're doing....and while I usually just step back and let "the powers that are" take matters into their own hands....I'm sick and tired of this ongoing situation. I rely on my dad being able to get out and be a part of society since his stroke and one way is to be able to drive and pick up my kids when I need him to....I can't expect him to do this if he's put into a dangerous situation when he can't even get out of his car!!

I do hope that you are with me on this...and that SOMETHING can be done!! I've been a part of this school for the past 12 years....and it's only getting worse!

Sincerely,

L

Pretty good..wouldn't you say?

Comments

Fen said…
The obliviousness of people never ceases to astound and infuriate me. At one of the schools I used to work at, the parents would use the staff parking lot as a drop off point for their kids, blocking spaces with their enormous SUVs while their fat little kid waddles out of the passenger side. Drove me nuts!

But your situation isn't just annoying, its dangerous and could expose the school to a really nasty lawsuit if a kid gets hurt due to negligence on the school's part in providing a safe zone for kids and parents.

Popular Posts